'L' service to O'Hare began in 1984.
The letters ORD on O'Hare luggage tags stand for Orchard Place,
which is what O'Hare used to be called. In 1949, the airport was
renamed to honor World War Two flying ace Edward "Butch" O'Hare
who was killed in the Pacific in 1942.
O'Hare lost its long-standing status as "world's busiest airport"
in 1999 to Atlanta's Hartsfield International.
To get to O'Hare by 'L,' take the O'Hare Branch of the Blue Line
to the end of the line.
Back to the Map